The Ohio property and casualty insurance market is stable and growing thanks in part to a strong and fair regulation. We serve our members by navigating the political climate and acting as an industry advocate on legislation and regulations to ensure a healthy and competitive insurance environment. Our services help our members better compete to the benefit of consumers.
What We Do
- Facilitates a member-driven legislative committee, which works together to establish consensus positions among members on public policy matters that facilitate a highly competitive, stable, and predictable environment.
- Actively represents member interests before Ohio’s General Assembly and provides timely updates on key legislative and regulatory issues.
- Nurtures and maintains positive relationships with the executive branch of government and presents a united industry response on a multitude of diverse state regulatory issues that impact the property and casualty insurance industry in the state.
- Monitors hundreds of bills pending in the Ohio General Assembly that impact the property and casualty insurance industry and presents background information on behalf of the industry before state legislative committees.
- Nurtures and maintains positive relationships with members of the state legislature and other elected officials.
We lead a robust process of member approved amicus briefs filed on behalf of Ohio’s insurance industry. Amicus curiae briefs are “friends of the court” briefs. For decades, we have used amicus briefs to inform courts of potential effects of lower court decisions, impacts on Ohio’s competitive insurance market, or potential unintended consequences of a decision. Litigation is inherently a fact-specific exercise. Our amicus process seeks to ensure the judiciary understands the potential implications their rulings could have on consumers and the state’s property and casualty insurance marketplace. Our program is an essential component of encouraging stable case laws and predictable judicial outcomes.