Ohio Insurance Educator of the Year award
The Ohio Insurance Educator of the Year (IEY) award is our way of recognizing teachers for excellence in insurance education. Teaching insurance concepts to teens is no easy task. OII annually honors an educator who, through their creative and innovative teaching style, includes insurance as part of a course curriculum.
The Ohio Insurance Educator of the Year award is given annually to an Ohio teacher for excellence in insurance education. This honor recognizes both the teacher and the school.
Anyone—including educators (nominating themselves or other teachers), principals or administrators, students, insurance professionals and consumers—can nominate an educator for this award. Instruction can be part of any course such as family and consumer sciences, business, economics, mathematics, driver education, social studies or related courses.
The competition is open to educators in Ohio vocational and high schools. 2018 nominations must be received no later than February 15, 2018.
Nominations can be submitted online or through the downloadable IEY brochure.
About the award
The IEY award is given annually recognizing both the teacher and the school. In appreciation, the teacher and school receives:
- $1,000 award to the winning educator
- $500 award to the educator’s school
- Special recognition during OII’s Annual Meeting
- Reimbursement of course fees for successfully completing a future graduate-credit workshop or course designed for high school teachers. Subjects covered must include some insurance issues or topics. Maximum amount of reimbursement is $500.
- Recognition plaque
An OII panel of judges representing Ohio’s insurance industry selects the award-winner.
Judging will be based on the following:
- Subjects taught (auto, renters, life and health insurance)
- Demonstration of varied approaches to student needs and learning styles
- Creativity in teaching methods
- Evidence of personal insurance knowledge
- Time devoted to insurance instruction
OII employees and judging committee members are not permitted to nominate a candidate. Judging committee members may not vote on or influence the selection of an educator who teaches at a school attended by children of an OII employee or judge.
IEY resource links
- 2018 Online IEY nomination form
- 2018 IEY nomination brochure
- Past IEY award recipients
- 2016 recipient release
- 2015 recipient release